Total Pageviews

Monday, January 21, 2013

Image of Edward Lloyd Parry for Book Cover

The following are images of an inverted photograph of Edward Lloyd Parry, with his signature below. It is mounted on wood and measures roughly 5" x 6.25". We believe this was the same image used in Orson F. Whitney's History of Utah, Volume 4, pages 459-461. It is the same image we used for the front cover of the biography The Life of Edward Lloyd Parry. We think that ink was originally applied to the image and somehow stamped or applied to paper in order to create images in books. In my limited research on the topic, I believe this is called a tintype, but I am unsure. I would also like to find out what the image is made of (Tin? Silver?). If you have information about this image or how the process worked, please contact me at elephantnavel@gmail.com.








This last image is an actual scan of the piece:





(Click on each image to enlarge it)

No comments:

Post a Comment